Coriander, a seemingly common green herb has benefits more than you can think of. It may be used as a “background” herb but gives a very distinct taste to any food in which it is mixed and provides numerous benefits. Today the article is about the uses and benefits of coriander and how it is a healthy addition to our diet.
16 Amazing Benefits of Coriander
Coriander is used in all forms. The leaves, stems, and seeds are used directly in form of juices or soaked in water, or mixed in cuisine and cookery. It has benefits to both our physical health and appearance.
We are listing Some of the amazing coriander benefits and uses. You will want to eat coriander with every food
Health Benefits of Coriander
- Coriander reduces blood sugar. Studies have proved that coriander can aid the digestive process and enzyme activity. Increased enzyme activity helps the body in effective digestion and maintains its blood sugar level. Diabetic patients should use coriander with every meal. They can simply take a few coriander seeds like we eat fennel seeds after food.
- It is rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants not only heal our body from inflammation and infection but also fight cancerous cells in our body. Coriander leaves are effective in boosting our overall immunity.
- The effects of coriander on heart health are also magical. Pungent and sharp herbs like coriander reduce high blood pressure and fight cholesterol. It also helps in increasing good cholesterol in our bodies.
- Coriander also repairs nerve damage hence improving brain health too. Also, many brain diseases are the result of infection and inflammation, and coriander decreases the risk of that. Eating coriander is naturally nerve soothing therapy for our body.
- Cilantro is a special ingredient in many medicines. Coriander seeds soaked in water can treat thyroid glands too. Rich vitamins and antioxidants remove swelling and inflammation and heal the body. They also regulate the thyroid hormone.
Coriander as a Medicine
- The Coriander’s medicinal uses have given humanity a sigh of relief. Coriander is used in many medicines that improve digestion and aid gut health. A few drops of coriander oil can solve problems like lack of hunger, acidity, and bad digestion (diarrhea or constipation). Cilantro acts as a laxative and also improves the symptoms of nausea and heartburn.
- As coriander is effective for digestion. It also cures food poisoning in some cases. The boosted immunity, improved digestive health, and anti-inflammatory properties can even fight salmonella. (A commonly occurring bacteria that cause food poisoning). It also fights different fungal and bacterial infections.
- Cilantro also helps improve kidney function. It helps the body with low water retention and flushes out toxins. You can add coriander seeds or cilantro in detox water too. They are as effective as adding Lemon.
- Various studies suggests The Benefits of coriander seeds for weight loss. You can directly reap the benefits of coriander seeds soaked in water. It helps in improving metabolism and aids in effective weight loss. Also, coriander seeds help maintain cholesterol levels.
Benefits of Coriander for Skin and Hair
- Coriander doesn’t only benefits our internal body organs. It also helps in improving skin and hair health. Talking about the Benefits of coriander juice for the skin, having a glass of it makes your skin fresh and glowing.
- The rich antioxidants keep the skin wrinkle-free and luminous.
- Maintaining blood sugar levels also keeps the skin young and healthy. Applying coriander juice directly to the skin helps with rashes, acne, and pimples on the skin. It also fights fungal infections and allergic reactions in the skin.
- Cilantro is also very effective for hair health. Apply and see the benefits of coriander water improving your hair health. Either add coriander powder to hair oil or massage coriander seed oil to your scalp. It act as a scrub and food for hair follicles. Thus improves circulation and promotes hair growth.
- Applying coriander essential oils on your forehead can soothe your nerves and helps with headaches.
- Massage the shoulders to relieve work stress.
- A small amount of coriander along with relaxing medication can induce and improve your sleep.
Are Coriander and Cilantro the same?
Cilantro is usually the leaves and stem of the plant. Whereas coriander is the seed of the plant. However, in the US coriander means both the seed and leaves of the plant.
- The leaves are used in soups and stews. They also add a perfect garnish to many dishes. You can use stem and leaves while cooking and can have them as a raw food too.
- Coriander seeds are added to pickles, salads, in Asian cuisine, and used in powdered form as a spice.
- Cilantro leaves are a good addition to pasta and gravy dishes.
Good restaurants like fresh elements restaurant uses coriander as a healthy and tasty addition to their food items.
Is coriander edible in its raw form?
Yes. We can eat coriander as we like. However, the pungent taste may not attract everyone. Some people add other ingredients to make it a tasty addition to food. You can add honey to coriander juice. For healthy diet, garnish your dish with cilantro.
What vitamin is in Coriander?
Being a green herb, the stems and leaves of coriander are an excellent dietary fiber. They are full of vitamins like C, K, and proteins. Coriander also contains magnesium, Iron, and manganese. Small traces of calcium, potassium, phosphorous, niacin, and carotene are also present in coriander
Are there any disadvantages of Coriander?
If you are talking about any adverse effects of eating coriander, then NO. It is a safe, natural, and healthy diet.
Talking about if you can drink coriander juice every day. You may drink cilantro juice at least twice a week to get the benefits of coriander. We advise adding a few leaves to your food every day.
As coriander seeds are used as spices. Their powder can cause allergic reactions in people working in factories. Coriander is not to blame here. This is like any other powdery ingredient that can get inside the nasal and throat cavity and cause infections.
In short, benefits of coriander are wonderful. Coriander is like a nature packed within this tiny plant. Use it daily as a healthy addition to your food and stay fit and healthy.